On November 8, 2013 Typhoon Haiyan known as Typhoon Yolanda struck Southeast Asia, particularly the Philippines. Typhoon Haiyan was and still is the strongest cyclone to hit land in recorded history. More than 13.3 million people were affected by this disaster. 6, 368 people lost their lives, and more than 12,000 people were injured. As of January 2014 bodies were still being found. Hundreds of Thousands of people were left homeless. Over 1.5 million fisherman and farmers need assistance to restore their livelihood.
Based on the fatalities and destruction caused this could be one of the most devastating natural disasters to have occurred in our lifetime.
In January 2014 Allan Crawford, the owner of Canadian Wilderness Adventures (CWA), went on a humanitarian vacation to the Philippines. This is his story:
While he was there he built homes for numerous families, but he came back feeling as though there was so much more he could do. This is when the idea of the Canadian Cares Foundation started to form. Through discussions with Brittia Thompson, CWA In-Resort Sales and Marketing Manager, and Leah Primeau, the Sponsorship and Development Coordinator for WFF, the idea was born to host a fundraiser in partnership with the RYOT Foundation.
On June 19th, 2014 CWA hosted a Prohibition Dance Party / Fundraiser for the RYOT Foundation. Though we had a few setbacks, such as weather, and technical issues with the auction, the Canadian Cares Foundation was able to raise:
$3600 and will be purchasing 4 Fishing Boats
($860 buys one fishing boat)
With your help we hope to reach our goal of purchasing 10 Fishing Boats. Please contact Brittia Thompson at [email protected] if you would like to donate and help us reach our goal!
CWA could not have done this without the help of some amazing people and companies.
THANK YOU to all of our generous sponsors:
- Gibbons Life
- Whistler Brewing Company
- Nesters Market
- Canadian Outback Adventures
- Whistler Water
- Joern Rohde Photography
- Whistler Printing & Signs
THANK YOU to those who donated items for the auction:
- The Mexican Corner
- Ascent Wellness
- Brewhouse at Whistler
- The Bearfoot Bistro
- Whistler Village Beer Festival
- Nolita Anada
THANK YOU to our volunteers:
- Ellie Irwin for selling drink tickets
- Sarah Johnson for selling drink tickets and raffle tickets
- Amanda Bouchard for selling raffle tickets
- Imogen Osborne for selling raffle tickets and drink tickets
- Lindsey Rosstrom for selling raffle tickets
- Natalie Skokan for selling raffle tickets
- Krista Sirianni for bartending
- Angie Nolan for bartending
- Fish Boulton for bartending
- Emily Wood for bartending
- Randy Randoid for being the Head of the Casino
- Chelsea for helping run the Casino games
- Nolita Anada for donating your time (it was an amazing performance!)
- Kat for helping run the Casino games
- Benny Bock for being our MC
- Larry Veilleux for being our auctioneer
- Valerie St-Arnaud for setting up our photo booth and taking amazing photos
And last but not least CWA wants to give a huge round applause to LEAH PRIMEAU who donated all of her time in order to help us put on an amazing event!
For images of the event please click visit our Facebook Page.